Instagram turns out to be a new way where we can share pictures with relatives, friends and other lesser-known people. And I’m not going too far with words when I say it’s a new way, yes it is. At a time when 5G is lurking around the corner to show the reach of transmission, we cannot ignore the fact that interactive smartphone applications are changing how we communicate with people. One prefers remembering Instagram handle over a contact number; it is formally less exposing, and handles are easy to remember. But, the media on your Instagram account is on a cloud-based server, and you would want your funny beach getaways to be the wallpaper of a meme.
The following privacy tips and tricks will secure your account in all aspects.
Make your account private
The private account only shares the media with people who are following you. You can choose to share your personal media with contacts of your choice.
- Open the profile section by pressing the ‘person’ icon on the bottom-right portion. Then, swipe left and press the ‘settings’ icon.
- From here, choose ‘Privacy and Security. ‘ Tap on ‘Account Privacy.’
- Turn on the option of ‘Private Account.’
OVER THE WEB
- Look for the settings icon after you click the ‘person’ icon on the top-right corner of your screen.
- From here, choose ‘Privacy and Security’ then ‘Account Privacy.’
- Check the box next to Private Account.
Once this is done your Imstagram posts will onyl be viewable to your followers. All others will need to send you a follow request.
How to block contacts
It is for the time when any of your Instagram followers starts to annoy you or spam you or maybe worse.
- Open the ‘Followers’ screen.
- Look for the follower you wish to be blocked from reaching your profile.
- Tap the horizontal/vertical dots beside their username as per device- iOS or Android.
ON THE WEB
- Select the ‘person’ icon.
- After that, tap ‘Followers.’
- Look for the ‘follower’ you wish to block.
- Click on the icon next to the name and look for three horizontal dots and select the option of ‘block this user.’
Enable two-factor authentication
The two-factor authentication enables a user to enter the password received on their phone every time they log in to their account.
ON A SMARTPHONE
- Open ‘Settings’ and then select ‘Privacy and Security.’
- From here, choose ‘Two-Factor Authentication’ and then click on ‘Get Started.’
- Users can choose to use another authentication app such as Google Authenticator for this security measure.
ON THE WEB
- Click on the person icon and then tap on the settings icon.
- Select ‘Privacy and Security’ and then click on ‘Edit Two-Factor Authentication Setting.’
- You can check the ‘Text Message’ box in case you use an authentication application.
Sam John is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.