Did you make a Mac user account but misspelled the user account name? Are you getting tired of the Mac user name and feel that it is too boring? If it is so, then you can rectify it. The Mac user account name can be changed. If you are planning to change the Mac user name or the home folder name, then read on.
The method of changing the account short name and home directory name
- Firstly, sign into the account on which you want to make changes.
- After that, sign into the spare account of yours. Note that the option of logging out is present below the menu of Apple.
- Then, by the Finder move to the Users folder that is placed on Mac’s startup drive. In the present home directory note that you will get the Users folder having the completely same name as of the account present short name.
- Next, put the present name of the home directory.
- After that, press home directory in the Finder window.
- Then, press one more time in the name of the home directory for making changes on it.
- Next, put the new name of the home directory.
- After that, go to System Preferences by pressing on the symbol of the Dock. Alternatively, press on System Preferences from the menu of Apple.
- Then, press Users and Groups preference pane.
- After going to Users and Groups preference pane, you need to press symbol of the lock. It shall be towards the end at the left-hand side and put the password of the spare account.
- Next, right-click user account for the one you wish to change the short name.
- Then, from its pop-up menu, choose Advanced Options.
- After that, make the changes to account name area for matching new home directory name that was made by you.
- Next, make the changes to the Home Directory area for matching the new name that you put recently.
- After doing the changes in account name as well as on home directory, do press on OK option.
- Check that new name of your account and home directory shall be presented.
- Then, sign out from the administrator account that you made for doing the changes.
- After that, sign in to your changed user account.
- Then, visit the home directory.
- Note that you have access to every file of yours.
Sam John is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.